Local Pathways Fellow (2020 Cohort)
SDSN Youth (SDSN Association)
Role and Responsibilities
The Local Pathways Fellowship seeks to provide young leaders with a platform, a guiding framework for action, and connect them with leading development experts and practitioners:
- Guide and inform their work around their existing and future projects, and help them develop insights about local sustainable development challenges;
- Provide them with a framework for engagement with local stakeholders;
- Facilitate mutual learning and exchange of urban solutions;
- Support them in becoming local advocates that promote and advocate for dialogue and problem solving for sustainable development.
The fellows will take on a 10-month journey throughout which they will explore pathways for "localizing" the globally adopted goals and targets, exchange knowledge and ideas, and work to engage local stakeholders in a dialogue around pathways towards a better future for their fellow citizens.
The Local Pathways Fellowship is unpaid. The fellows will benefit from global visibility and exposure as champions for sustainable urban development, numerous opportunities to develop their expertise, as well as access to a vast network of SDG professionals and advocates.
In order to be selected as a Local Pathways Fellow, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Candidates must be between 18 and 30 years old at the time of application (exceptions may apply);
- Candidates must be based in the same city throughout the entire duration of the Fellowship (February 2019 through November 2019);
- Candidates must be fluent in English and the local language of the cities they represent;
- Candidates must demonstrate a commitment to and a solid understanding of the concept of sustainable development;
- Candidates must be able to commit the minimum of 5-7 hours each week on average;
- Candidates must have a stable internet connection;
- A minimum of one year of professional or academic experience in development practice, urban planning, community engagement, and advocacy, or similar;
- A demonstrated background in research, development practice, advocacy or similar fields would be considered a strong asset.
Candidates representing any city and country in the world are encouraged to apply, however, SDSN Youth will make efforts to ensure diversity of regional representation among the fellows.
Applications for the 2020 cohort of the Local Pathways Fellowship closed on December 15, 2019. Thank you for your interest in the program.
This is a 10-month voluntary position that requires 5-7 hours per week.
Making an Impact
- Being part of SDSN Youth and the Local Pathways Fellowship enables you to be at the forefront of efforts taken by the United Nations, governments, companies and civil society in developing and leading a global movement for sustainable development and enables to make an impact.
- We are creating a movement of young people, who are committed to sustainable development and are being equipped with the necessary skills and tools to overcome key challenges and meaningfully contribute to the achievement of SDGs in communities.
Aspirations and Networks
- SDSN Youth and the Local Pathways Fellowship enables you to build professional and personal relationships with high-level stakeholders in civil society, business, government, and the United Nations.
- By joining the Local Pathways Fellowship, you will be part of a diverse and exceptional group of fellows with a variety of cultural, religious and political backgrounds, committed to sustainable development.
- The relationships you develop through SDSN Youth and the Local Pathways Fellowship could serve as a foundation for your future endeavors.
Pathways to Leadership
- You may be selected to attend international events and meet some of the most prominent figures in the sustainable development space.
- Supported by our global team of experts, you will progress rapidly in a challenging but flexible, fulfilling and meaningful environment.
- Your experiences will become central to our program ́s efforts and legacy.