Project Officer (SDSN Youth Summit), Events Team
SDSN Youth (SDSN Association)
Applications close 15th September.
At SDSN Youth, we empower young people to take meaningful action on the Sustainable Development Goals. By joining our global team, you will be working with a diverse and exceptional group of individuals with a variety of cultural, religious and political backgrounds, committed to sustainable development.
Sustainable Development Solutions Network - Youth (SDSN Youth) is a network of over 140 volunteers (students, young professionals, and scholars) working on the Sustainable Development Goals. Our mission is to empower young leaders globally to create sustainable development solutions, through platforms that educate, connect, and integrate their ideas and perspectives into national and regional pathways for the implementation of the SDGs.
The SDSN Youth Summit aims to bring together these young change-makers from around the world for 2 days of learning, collaboration, and innovation
We are looking for a Project Officer to lead the organization of an SDSN Youth Summit in early 2020.
- Event logistics
- Managing a remote team of volunteers, who will help you execute the preparation of the Summit
- Workshop and activity logistics for the Summit itself
- Work closely with our Events, and Operations team
- Work closely with our Network team based in Turkey
- Partnerships and Admin
- Assist in managing partnerships from the Summit
- After the Summit, you may continue to work in the Events team to help coordinate global conferences and SDSN Youth representation
Please note: As a virtual network, it is IMPORTANT for Project Officers to communicate effectively with their Project Leader and report back consistently. In a network, which operates across several time zones, reporting and communicating proactively is crucial.
The Project Officer (SDSN Youth Summit) will be someone who has experience running complex events (events with multiple streams such as conferences, multi-day summits or hackathons). They will be someone who is incredibly organized with great communication skills, is driven and can work autonomously.
- Have experience in running complex events
- Have some professional or volunteer work experience in a team.
- Have excellent organizational and communication skills
- Be a proven team player with excellent interpersonal skills and ability to coordinate and manage workload across several projects/teams.
- Be able to travel to the Summit (early 2020, travel will be covered).
- Demonstrate their ability to communicate effectively and report consistently. In a network, which operates across several time zones, reporting and communicating proactively is crucial.
- Must be responsive and able to manage regular communication with the team - including after-hours conference calls, as the network spans 10 different time zones.
- Be aged between 18-30 in order to be eligible for this role (exceptions may apply).
- Preferred if the candidate is based in either New York City, Melbourne, or Istanbul.
- Has an interest in sustainable development, be passionate about the mission of the SDSN, including the pursuit of the Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Agreement on climate change.
- Possesses an excellent command of the English language, including writing, speaking and listening.
- Is able to demonstrate that they have the time and resources to commit to this role – candidates with too many overlapping commitments will be exempt from running for this position.
Total Weekly Hours:
- Duration of Position:
The first term is 12 months in total, with a 2 months trial period in the beginning. However, subject to review of work performance, this position may be extended on a 12-month basis.
This position reports to the Project Leader of Events.
This position may require some domestic and/or international travel.
All Project Officers are required to complete all SDSN Youth online induction courses, including team training.