Project Officer, Operations (Strategy & Operations)
SDSN Youth (SDSN Association)
The UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN) has been operating since 2012 under the auspices of the UN Secretary-General. SDSN mobilizes global scientific and technological expertise to promote practical solutions for sustainable development, including the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Paris Climate Agreement.
The SDSN Youth is an initiative of the UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN). It was launched in 2015 with a mission to empower youth globally to create sustainable development solutions.
At SDSN Youth, we empower young people to take meaningful action on the Sustainable Development Goals. By joining our global team, you will be working with a diverse and exceptional group of individuals with a variety of cultural, religious and political backgrounds, committed to sustainable development.
SDSN Youth is a network of 650+ member organizations based in more than 85 different countries. SDSN Youth has more than 140 team members (staff, volunteers and interns) working in more than 30 different countries across 20 Regional/ National networks.
The Global Operations Team
The Operations team provides the support, structures and run processes, that allow SDSN Youth teams to better work together, and in order to achieve their team goals. Including Recruitment, Volunteer Experience, Training, Impact Assessment, and Strategy.
Our Strategy & Operations portfolio work with the leadership team members to drive the growth and scaling of our programs, and networks, aligning execution approach with our goals, and drive new initiatives.
Roles & Responsibilities
We currently have three opportunities for the Strategy & Operations Project Officer role.
Each role will involve Strategy (business plans, assessing impact, aligning to the organizational mission) and Operations (business processes, optimization, team engagement).
The 3 roles are:
- SDSN Youth Organizational Strategy & Ops
- Networks (regional localization) Strategy & Ops; and
- Member Organizations (membership engagement) Strategy & Ops
SDSN Youth Organizational Strategy & Ops
- Organizational Strategy
- Work closely with the Operations Project Lead to oversee the daily operations, organizational-wide with the SDSN Youth global teams
- Drive our operational strategy, in order to maximize internal performance
- Aligning impact and performance with SDSN Youth’s objectives
- Working closely with P&C and the Fundraising Team to monitor performance and impact in order to make strategic decisions with the Global Coordinator
- Working closely with P&C to define our Team Culture & Volunteer Experience strategy
- Program Strategy
- Work closely with the regional SAs (Africa, Americas, Asia Pacific, Europe), to drive the Networks Program strategy at a global level
- Ensure networks are leveraging our global network, to effectively localize the SDGs in each region
- People Management
- Managing the team of Senior Advisors, in supporting the Network Coordinators and analyzing KPIs
- Point of contact for SDSN Network Managers
- Membership Engagement Strategy
- Work closely with Network Coordinators to shape the Membership Program strategy (of 700+ organizations) at a global level
- Drive the Membership Program strategy, that provides an engaging experience for our members
- Process Optimization
- Working closely with the rest of the Operations Team to optimize the application process
- Work closely with Network Coordinators to execute the Membership program operations
The Project Officer (Strategy & Operations) will be someone who has experience in program management, and business strategy. They will be someone who possesses the organizational, communication and problem-solving skills, working in a team in order to maximize SDSN Youth’s internal performance.
- Candidate MUST have volunteer or work experience, managing teams or multiple stakeholders.
- Candidate MUST have experience in business strategy or product management.
- Candidate MUST have excellent organizational and leadership skills.
- Candidate MUST be a proven team player with excellent interpersonal skills and ability to coordinate and manage workload across several projects/teams.
- Candidate MUST demonstrate their ability to communicate effectively and report consistently. In a network, which operates across several time zones, reporting and communicating proactively is crucial.
- Candidate MUST be responsive and able to manage regular communication with the team - including after-hours conference calls, as the network spans 10 different time zones.
- Candidate MUST be aged between 18-30 in order to be eligible for this role (exceptions may apply).
- Candidate has an interest in sustainable development, be passionate about the mission of the SDSN, including the pursuit of the Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Agreement on climate change.
- Candidate possesses an excellent command of the English language, including writing, speaking and listening.
- The candidate is able to demonstrate that they have the time and resources to commit to this role – candidates with too many overlapping commitments will be exempt from running for this position.
Total Weekly Hours:
- 8+ hours per week (minimum)
- Duration of Position: The first term is 12 months in total, with a 2 months trial period in the beginning. However, subject to review of work performance, this position may be extended on a 12-month basis.
- Reporting: This position reports to the Project Lead of the Operations Team.
- Compensation: Voluntary
- Travel: This position may require some domestic and/or international travel.
- Training: All Project Officers are required to complete all SDSN Youth online induction courses, including team training.